Thursday, August 17, 2023

WAR, ORGANIC


I deployed my soldiers to the southern field:

Tender greenhorns, 

Lined up – standing at attention.

A humanitarian mission,

To feed the masses.


Little did I know


The perimeter would be breached

By armor-clad invaders.

Mandibles being their weapons,

They declared war –

With their appetites

They descended 

On my hapless garden rows. 


I sought counsel 

From time-worn generals, etched

In battle scars.

Their gravelly orders were clear:

“Bring out the heavy artillery!  Release the nukes!” 


I refuse.


Civilian casualties are not acceptable.


I institute tactics to defend 

Against the enemy while preserving

The fragile population 

Of pollinators. 


Despite my efforts, 

The remaining troops

Are cut down.


Steeling my resolve,

I send for reinforcements:

A contingency of

Hardened soldiers

Who could withstand 

the brutal attacks.


Their vines and spines

Defensive and offensive 

To the war-weary aggressor.


The enemy relents.


The masses will be fed.

No comments:

Post a Comment